Today s work consists of a couple attempts at producing a Jorn Larsen that was sent to me for repair. It s an interesting shape and I ve never done one exactly like it; as I had the pipe in hand I figured it was a good time to try it. Sadly the briar wasn t completely cooperating. I was trying for a straight grain to match the model I had but......
The first attempt came out way to tall and also hit a flaw on the front of the shank and had to modify to remove.But still a handsome pipe on its own.
The next attempt came closer in size and grain but again I hit some flaws which involved modification .
The third pipe has nothing to do with the Larsen. I was looking for some blocks for Dave to practice making pipes on. Repairs seemed to be slowing down a little and I thought he d have some time on his hands to experiment. I found a block I had drilled for a pipe kit but set aside as it had a flaw in the shank. The block had nice straight grain and I figured one day I d make something out of it. Well, Sunday was the day. I cut the sank way down. Machined a ring with two tenons on it and machined a briar shank extension to match and amde a useful pipe out of it.
These pipes are available in the web store in the Freehand section, Black and Tan section and Unique Bent section, respectively.
I received 12 sandblasts back last nite from Curt and will be working on finishing them today. There s some interesting shapes in there from past experiments including a Hawksbill-Volcano ! So check back tonite or tomorrow and possibly I ll have them up .